I haven't worked a lot on my project lately as I have been managing my son's Little League baseball team, but I found some time this past weekend to start on the fuel tank. Actually, I have been in the planning stages for a while now. In one of my conversations with Dave Thatcher about how to proceed with the fuel tank construction, he mentioned that he had drawn up a new design for the tank which eliminates the mounting angles that are attached directly to the tank and instead incorporates straps from which the tank hangs from. This sounded good to me, so I had Dave send me the yet to be published drawings. In these drawings was a new 10.5 gallon tank design which works well with the floor mounted rudder pedals, but not the hanging pedals. So, I'm sticking with the demensions of the original 10.5 gallon tank, but I will be using the straps to hold it in place.
Here is a photo of what I have cut out so far. I used an air cut off disk to trim close to my lines and then filed up to them. I'll be cutting out the top and bottom pieces next. Another thing I am doing different from the plans is putting all the flanges on the top and bottom pieces instead of this piece (which I call "the box"). I discussed this with Dave as well and he seemed to think this was a good idea.